Friday, June 8, 2012

Bittersweet....



Today was Nadine's "Moving Up Day" at her Pre-K.
What can I say, IT WAS SO CUTE!

However, the entire thing is very bittersweet. What I mean by "ENTIRE THING" is that, well.. one day I'm dropping my kid off at pre-k in tears (myself included shedding those tears), and in a blink she's five years old and running around with her friends not fully reliant on me.

The Moving Up Presentation came and went. A few of the parents, as well as Nadine, Charles and myself hung out infront of the School and chatted it up. I started to recall the first day I dropped Nadine off for School.
I was a mess! Transferring to a new community, switching pre-k programs within a couple weeks of school starting, as well as her surgery ahead of us, (it was a crazy time). I had a horrible time saying goodbye to her that first day. Those first few moments of "sending her off", I contemplated the idea of homeschooling and I questioned weather or not that kind of setting would be ordeal for her and I (serioulsy, it was a thought.. a very serious thought. However I was not a teacher, and there was a teacher inside the building waiting. Yet during those moments of stress, the idea of homeschooling had becoming appealing).

Today I watched Nadine run around, play on the School grass with her peers, attentive to how much she has grown. Nadine gave Gwen a hug, both smiling and giggles as they imitated the boys. At that moment, I realized sending her to pre-k was a decision I'm glad I made. She has many new friends, has learned to socialize, be independent and most of all, she loved school, learning and was so happy with her classmates and teachers.

Unsure if having another child is in the cards for us, I am content with my decision made five years ago. Changing my career, work part time and stay home with Nadine, has been one of the best decisions I have made for myself as well as she. I have enjoyed every moment!
Five years has gone very fast. Uncertain what next year will bring, I know for sure that Kindergarten will be awesome for my girl and I can't wait to hear her stories at the dinnertable of her daily adventures.



No comments:

Post a Comment